Friday, August 21, 2009

Collapsible Calendar Tutorial

Hello! I've had a special request for a tutorial, so I thought I would give it a go. :o) This is the Collapsible Calendar from my Free Patterns page on my website. In order to make this, you will need to print the pattern onto card stock. Simply click here to get to the free patterns page, then click "3-D Templates" or type "Calendar" in the search box. Then click "Download Pattern". (You will need a PDF viewer to see the pattern.) Click on the printer icon in the top left corner. It will take two pieces of card stock.

Once you print the pattern, cut on the outside solid line, and stamp to decorate. It should look something like this:

Next, score and fold all of the solid lines. Once you've done this, you are ready to start gluing your tabs together. Start with Tab A. I like to use Mono Adhesive to stick my tabs together because they stick immediately and you don't have to wait for them to dry.

After you get your adhesive on, put your Tab A's together, so they match, and so the words "Tab A" are glued facing each other.


Pinch them together, applying a fair amount of pressure. Repeat for Tab B, but don't continue to all of them yet. You'll want to put your rubber band in place after A and B are glued.


When I'm picking out my rubber band, I kind of eyeball the size. I like to stretch it out real well also. Here's a picture of the size that I like to use.


Placing the rubber band on the two hooks should be pretty easy, since you haven't glued the rest of your tabs together yet. Just hook it on both, like so:



Now you'll want to apply adhesive to the rest of the tabs. The easiest way to do this now that the rubber band is in place, is to flatten the calendar out while you put your adhesive on.



Now all you need to do is pinch each tab together with its counterpart, making sure it's going to stick.


Voila! You're done! It's fun to see it all put together.



And even more fun to press down on it to flaten it, then let go and it springs back up! This is a great little something to send to your friends, since it flattens out for mailing. I'd put it in between two pieces of chipboard, stick it in a 9x12 envelope, and wait to hear about what happened when they opened it!



This sample I made was stamped using 74675-Flower, and 74674-Leaves from Victorine Originals rubber stamps. I used Memories Soft inks, as to not overpower the calendar.
Have fun making your own calendar! I have 2010 up on the website right now. If you want to make a 2009 still, just email me and I'll send you the PDF.
Victorine

2 comments:

  1. Happily, I came across your blog and discovered the 2010 collapsible calendar template. I've always wanted to try one. Now, thanks to you I have it printed on cardstock...we'll see how I do with rubberband selection which I should think is key to the success of this design. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Fantastic! I'll be making a number of theses! :)

    ReplyDelete